Monday, August 11, 2014

"Country Snowflake"

It has been a week of intense sewing for me. Today,  I was able to finish up the pieced top for my niece's wedding quilt .  Phew! What a pile of sewing.  The pieced border was very labour intensive but so worth it. And I can't even convey how happy I am with the way my sewing went.  I give all the credit to my new 1/4" foot.  I didn't have to fudge anything throughout.  I didn't even have to trim the 12 1/2" pieced star blocks, they came out perfectly. The borders went on perfectly too.  Seriously, I have made lots of large bed quilts over the years and this is the first time that everything has gone so smoothly for me. So smoothly.   The hardest part will be basting this one together.  I can't do that until after the wedding because I will be piecing the backing with squares signed by all the wedding guests.  The wedding is Aug. 23, so not much longer.  I am really anxious to get quilting this one although I know it will be tough on my home machine.  I will just take it slow and easy. It measures 80" x 106"

And, a personal best.... I didn't start another project in the middle of making this!  But I definitely need to get back to my scrappy quilting.  I am just not a four fabric girl!
 PS..This quilt is called "Country Snowflake" because I used the pattern, "Snowflake" designed by Trudie Hughes, and because it will live in the country, on a farm, in rural New Brunswick. 


Hope you had time to get some quilting done today. 
Thanks for stopping by.


14 comments:

  1. Linda , I came up as anonymous , not sure why but just incase it does again , Sheila here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok blogger is acting very strange , your quilt is beautiful Linda , you did a fantastic job !

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful quilt Linda! That will be a big one to do on the home machine, but such a wonderful present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! That border would scare me off. Glad you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you coming to town, Linda? Did you get a hair appointment? I can’t remember if you told me the date or not...since I left work, I retain little..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely, Linda! I'm sure your niece and her husband to be will love it. And I'm very proud of you for sticking to one task! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great...I really like the border. Isn't it just wonderful when everything comes together the way it is supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, Linda! I'm sure they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out beautiful! And what self-discipline - I'm impressed! I would have started at least 3 new quilts while that one was in progress LOL!!! Love that design by the way, it's one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Linda, I can see you would have had to stay quite focussed to do the border but so worth it, and good idea with the backing too - they will love it! Now maybe you can relax and play a little...?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful quilt, Linda. Love the border. Wow, that's a lot of piecing! Katherine will be thrilled, what a lucky girl to have an aunt like you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful Linda, well done. My new 1/4" foot with guide arrived yesterday so looking forward to trying it out. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.